About This Image
A very rich unmounted and untrimmed image (some of which cannot be seen on the scan), but has had extensive professional restoration after it was torn cleanly in half. The original church on this site was the basilica where Clovis was baptized by Saint Remi, bishop of Reims, in 496 AD. A later cathedral was built on the same site, but it burned down in 1211. The present Reims Cathedral was completed by the end of the 13th century, with the west front added in the 14th century based on 13th-century designs. In the meantime, the nave was lengthened to make room for the crowds that attended the coronations. In 1875 the French National Assembly voted to fund extensive repairs of the façade and balustrades. This façade is the finest portion of the building, and one of the most perfect masterpieces of the Middle Ages. Provenance: Andre Jammes; Sotheby's London. Framed.
Shipping and insurance costs will be added to the price and must be paid for by the buyer. Pennsylvania buyers must pay appropriate local sales tax. International clients are responsible for their VAT and other custom's oriented charges.
Medium Albumen print from wet plate negative
Photo Date 1857-58 Print Date 1857-58
Dimensions 21-1/8 x 16-1/4 in. (537 x 413 mm)
Photo Country France
Photographer Country France