About This Image
Title and negative number reversed out of negative at bottom left.
Provenance: old collection of J. Harrison, Jr. purchased in 1861.
The Capitoline Hill is the smallest of Rome's seven hills, but it was the religious and political center of the city since its foundation more than 2500 years ago. Today the hill is also known as Campidoglio, the Italian name for the hill.
The long, beautiful staircase to the Piazza del Campidoglio is known as the Cordonata. Only three buildings border the square. The one on the left coming from the Cordonata is the Palazzo Nuovo. The central building on the Piazza del Campidoglio is the Palazzo Senatorio. The name is derived from its function as seat of the Senate until 1870 when it became the seat of the City of Rome. The building opposite the Palazzo Nuovo is the Palazzo dei Conservatori. It was the seat of the city government during the Middle Ages. The palazzo is now part of the Capitoline Museums, with a collection mainly consisting of sculpture and paintings.
Shipping and insurance costs will be added to the price and must be paid for by the buyer. Pennsylvania buyers must pay appropriate local sales tax. International clients are responsible for their VAT and other custom's oriented charges.
Medium Albumen print from wet plate negative
Mount on original mount
Photo Date 1850s Print Date 1861c
Dimensions 11-1/4 x 14-3/8 in. (286 x 365 mm)
Photo Country Italy
Photographer Country Italy